Latest
Recommended
Published: Fri, August 10, 2018
Global Media | By Abel Hampton

Saudi-led coalition claims deadly Yemen attack

Saudi-led coalition claims deadly Yemen attack

Dozens of students were returning from a summer camp when their driver paused to grab a something at a market in Yemen's Saada province.

A doctor treats children injured by the airstrike.

The coalition said it had carried out a "legitimate military action", targeting a bus in response for a deadly missile attack on Saudi Arabia on Wednesday by Houthi rebels.

He accused the rebels of using children as "tools and covers for their terrorist acts".

"All the victims are civilians and there were no fighters among them". The coalition faces widespread worldwide criticism for its airstrikes in Yemen that kill civilians.

Yemenis helps a wounded child after being injured in an alleged Saudi-led airstrike, at a hospital in the northern province of Saada, Yemen, 09 August 2018. The military action in Saada province, which lies between Amran and Saudi Arabia, was in line with worldwide humanitarian law, he said.

The head of the ICRC's delegation in the country later said most of the casualties were under the age of 10, adding that the organisation was sending additional supplies to hospitals in the area.

Citing "local officials", the head of the global aid group's delegation in Yemen says that in total at least 50 people died and dozens more were injured. Two or more wounded children are seen sharing a single hospital bed, and one child - soaked in blood - screams as he is being treated at a health centre. It was not immediately clear if there were any casualties in those strikes.

The International Committee for the Red Cross said a hospital it supports in Saada had received 29 bodies of "mainly children" younger than 15, and 40 injured, including 30 children.

The Huthi rebels' Al-Masirah TV reported that 39 people had been killed and 51 wounded, "mostly children".

"Shrapnel from the intercepted missile scattered over residential areas, leaving a Yemeni resident killed and 11 other civilians wounded", the coalition said.

An airstrike in the north reportedly killed at least 50, more than half of them children.

"I am watching with horror the images and videos coming from Saada in #Yemen and I have no words".

"The place is known to be a market, [and] there is no military installation nearby. but the Saudis are known to have done this many times-target schools, weddings and so on", Nasser Arrabyee told Al Jazeera. "Why are children being killed?" tweeted UNICEF's resident representative in Yemen, Meritxell Relano.

US State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said the United States did not have the "full details of what happened on the ground" but said "we're concerned about these reports".

The Houthis have launched a series of missile strikes on the kingdom, including the capital, Riyadh, over the past year.

Last week, Yemeni medical officials said the coalition conducted airstrikes in the rebel-held port city of Hodeida, killing at least 28 people and wounding 70.

The coalition denied responsibility for those attacks.

The Houthis seized the capital, Sanaa, in 2014 and overthrew the internationally recognised government led by President Abdrabu Mansur Hadi during a transition of power from former president Ali Abdullah Saleh.

Like this: