Latest
Recommended
Published: Wed, July 11, 2018
Sport | By Billy Aguilar

Rockets determined to add Anthony

Rockets determined to add Anthony

Anthony and his representatives met with Rockets and Heat officials at the site of the NBA Summer League in recent days, league sources told ESPN...

Cameroonian free agent forward Luc Mbah a Moute has agreed to a one-year National Basketball Association deal with the Los Angeles Clippers, ESPN reported Monday, pushing the Houston Rockets to pursue Carmelo Anthony.

According to Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN, Carmelo Anthony has waived his no-trade clause and has begun meeting (with the Thunder's permission) with teams interested in acquiring his services this summer.

But Houston, the Lakers and Miami are all said to be keen on signing Anthony if, as expected, he comes a free agent.

The Thunder are working on trade scenarios where Anthony, 34, would be moved as an expiring contract and be waived, becoming a free agent once his $27.9 million 2017-18 salary clears waivers.

The Rockets lost forwards Luc Mbah a Moute to a one-year deal with the Los Angeles Clippers and Trevor Ariza to a one-year agreement with the Phoenix Suns.

Anthony opted into the final year of his near $28m deal last month, contributing to a dangerously-inflated payroll that now sits at around $310m in OKC.

The Rockets also have similar vehicles to sign Anthony.

If he chooses to sign with Houston, the Rockets can offer him their mid-level exception, which amounts to $5.3 million. Wade also remains a possibility for that exception if he chooses to play.

Anthony averaged a career-low 16.2 points per game last season on 40.4 per cent from the field.

Anthony expressed to the Thunder at the end of the team's playoff run he would not accept a bench role.

Like this: