Latest
Recommended
Published: Tue, July 10, 2018
Medical | By Garry George

Food Parasite Has Hospitalized 7 Sickened More

Food Parasite Has Hospitalized 7 Sickened More

The CDC said on Thursday that the outbreak is linked to Del Monte 6-, 12-, and 28-ounce plastic clamshell vegetable trays.

The trays were sold at Kwik Trip, FoodMax, Country Market, Meehan's, Potash, Demond and Kwik Star.

Health officials say a parasite discovered in Del Monte vegetable trays has caused more than 200 consumers in multiple Midwest states to become ill. Two cases were from vegetables bought in another state but consumed in MI.

The parasite that causes this intestinal illness was found in 6 oz., 12 oz. and 28 oz. vegetable trays containing fresh broccoli, cauliflower, celery sticks, carrots and dill dip sold to select retailers in the above-mentioned states, as well as in IL and Indiana. The two cases from MI reportedly purchased the vegetable tray in Wisconsin and therefore MI is not impacted from this outbreak.

Symptoms of cyclosporiasis include watery diarrhea and frequent, sometimes explosive, bowel movements, which typically show up a week after people ingest food containing the parasite.

The recalled trays has affected people in Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin and MI. So far, the age range for those sickened is 13 to 79 years old. Other symptoms can include loss of appetite, weight loss, stomach cramps/pain, bloating, increased gas, nausea, and fatigue.

A previous major cyclosporiasis outbreak was reported in 2015, when 546 individuals were infected across 31 states. The FDA is now reviewing distribution and supplier information related to the vegetable trays, as well, in its ongoing investigation.

Although the illness can be treated with antibiotics, symptoms can last from a few days to a few months. Because of the expiration date, these likely no longer are in consumers' possession, but in case you still have them, you're encouraged to throw them away.

Like this: