Published: Fri, July 13, 2018
Culture | By Antonia Gonzales

All boys and coach rescued from Thailand cave

All boys and coach rescued from Thailand cave

A person with knowledge of the rescue said just before the eleventh person was spotted, that 10 people had been brought out.

He assured that the remaining four boys and their soccer coach are ready for extraction.

"The 10th is at the cave entrance on the way to the field hospital", a navy official told AFP, requesting anonymity. The boys who were initially rescued asked for basil fried rice, but doctors are instead feeding them soft foods like Congee, a Chinese rice porridge.

Thai Prime Minister Gen. Prayut Chan-ocha visited the hospital Monday, and spoke to relatives and hospital workers. "Who the hell would give that to a kid?"

Thai divers gather before they enter to the Tham Luang cave, where 12 boys and their soccer coach are trapped, in the northern province of Chiang Rai, Thailand, July 6, 2018.

If all goes according to plan, the remaining boys, their coach, and the doctor and Navy SEAL divers who have been with them in the cave will be brought out today.

"All five will be brought out at the same time today", Mr Osottanakorn said.

Officials said all eight of the boys rescued so far were "good physically and mentally", though two of the four brought out on Monday had swollen lungs. Helicopters taking the boys to a hospital roared overhead.

The remaining four Wild Boar FC players aged 11-17 and their 25-year-old coach have been trapped on a small ledge some 3.2km inside the cave complex since June 23.

Earlier, the eight boys rescued after being trapped for more than two weeks were described as generally healthy.

He said, "the kids are footballers so they have high immune systems".

After they were found on July 2, officials cautioned it could take some time to get them out, but authorities chose to act with heavy rains forecast to hit the region. We always knew they would be alive.

As of Tuesday morning, the last of the group have spent almost 16 days underground after being trapped by floodwaters in the cave in northern Thailand.

"Let's see how long it would take us".

Osatanakorn told reporters that Monday's efforts took nine hours, two hours less that Sunday's mission.

After several days, a rescue operation was launched on Sunday when four of the boys were brought out, tethered to rescue divers.

Four ambulances and a convoy of other vehicles arrived at the cave site Tuesday morning as rains hit the region.

Narongsak said the rescued boys had not been identified out of respect for the families whose sons were still trapped.

Like this: