Latest
Recommended
Published: Thu, July 12, 2018
Global Media | By Abel Hampton

20 killed in political rally’s bombing

20 killed in political rally’s bombing

"We condemn this heinous terrorist attack and wish Allah's mercy upon those who lost their lives, a speedy recovery to the wounded, and convey our condolences to the friendly government and brotherly people of Pakistan", the statement added.

Bilour was one of the ANP's election candidates and belonged to an influential political family in the Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province, of which Peshawar is the capital.

Mohammad Khurasani, a spokesman for the Pakistani Taliban or Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan, said they targeted the Awami National Party (ANP) rally in the northwestern city of Peshawar, killing Haroon Ahmed Bilour, a candidate for a seat in the provincial legislature.

Bashir Bilour, the father of Haroon, was also martyred in a suicide bombing targeting his rally in the fabled Qissa Khawani bazaar of Peshawar in December 2012.

So far now, any terrorist organisation has not claimed the responsibility for the attack.

Hospital's spokesperson Zulfiqar Ali Baba Khel reportedly said that 13 people died and more than 47 are wounded in the blast. The rally that was targeted had been organized by the anti-Taliban Awami National Party.

Haroon Bilour, who was set to contest the July 25 elections from Peshawar's PK-78 constituency, will be buried in Wazir Bagh at 5pm today (Wednesday).

He said around eight kilograms of explosive material was used in the attack.

Rescue teams and law enforcement agencies have reached the site of the blast and investigations into the attack are underway.

The ANP was the main target of Taliban attacks in the 2013 election. "Moreover, there are threats to senior leadership of the Pakistan Peoples Party and Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz", Nacta director Obaid Farooq said while briefing the Senate Standing Committee on Interior.

Mosharraf Zaidi, head of Alif Ailaan, flayed the attack, saying "The horror continues for the Bilour family".

More than 380,000 personnel will be deployed for the elections, according to Major General Asif Ghafoor, the military spokesman.

Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) Sardar Muhammad Raza denounced the attack, saying: "This shows weakness of our security institutions and a conspiracy against transparent elections".

The caretaker Prime Minister Nasir-ul-Mulk has ordered authorities to ensure peace during the July 25 vote.

Like this: