Published: Sun, June 10, 2018
Global Media | By Abel Hampton

Texas man nearly died after bitten by rattlesnake's severed head

Texas man nearly died after bitten by rattlesnake's severed head

According to KIII-TV, Jennifer Sutcliffe and her husband were doing yard work late last month when she spotted a rattlesnake in their yard. "He had to rip it off".

The man required 26 vials of antivenom to combat the poison, his wife told a local news station.

After the horrifying incident, Sutcliffe put her husband in the auto and began driving him to the hospital.

"Within two miles down the road, he was going through seizures, slipping out of conscious and couldn't see". But snakes and other ectotherms, which don't need as much oxygen to fuel the brain, can probably live on for minutes or even hours, Penning said. A snake bite victim is usually administered two to four doses of the expensive antidote but Sutcliffe's husband was given a whopping 26 doses, she said.

"They HALO-Flighted him into the hospital", Sutcliffe said.

But Jeremy has a lengthy recovery ahead of him, his wife said, as he is still showing signs of weakened kidneys.

Her husband quickly attacked the venomous snake with a shovel, cutting off the head.

In a shocking incident, a man from Texas was bitten by a severed head of a rattlesnake. "He got all of the snake's venom in the bite".

Go to the nearest emergency room immediately and describe the snake to doctors. And though there are about 7-8,000 snake bites from venomous snakes in the US each year, only about 10-12 of them, on average, result in fatalities, says trauma surgeon Michael Halpert. He's now in stable condition at Spohn.

Dr. Halpert recommends keeping your cool if you get bitten and ensure that you keep the area where the bite is below the heart level.

Like this: