Latest
Recommended
Published: Sun, January 14, 2018
Global Media | By Abel Hampton

Trump cancels London trip over 'bad' Embassy deal

Trump cancels London trip over 'bad' Embassy deal

"It seems he's finally got that message", wrote London's mayor, Sadiq Khan, on Twitter in response to Trump's message about his travel cancellation.

Trump said on Twitter he canceled the visit because the USA embassy's former location was sold at a "bad deal".

The decision to move the embassy from its historic location in London's Grosvenor Square was made under President George W. Bush and announced in October 2008. In an outburst on Twitter, the USA president said the new location is "bad" and no, he won't cut the ribbon.

The US embassy in London has released a statement correcting President Donald Trump on the price tag of its relocation after he said it claimed it was a "bad deal".

Just south of the River Thames, the cube-shaped embassy building is in sight of Westminster and part of a £15 billion, 561-acre regeneration project set to transform one of the South Bank's last remaining industrial stretches.

But a full-blown state visit replete with golden carriages and pomp has been deferred amid the threat of huge anti-Trump protests. In December, Johnson said he was looking forward to welcoming the president. Trump sparked outrage among members of Parliament and drew a sharp rebuke from Prime Minister Theresa May after he retweeted posts from a fringe anti-Muslim group in November.

Downing Street declined to comment on the particular case but reports suggested No 10 was aware the "working visit" had been postponed.

Press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Friday that the United States is "still working with our UK allies to find a date for a visit for the invitation that was offered and accepted". SOT: JEREMY SHAPIRO, RESEARCH DIRECTOR AT THE EUROPEAN COUNCIL ON FOREIGN RELATIONS (ENGLISH): Jeremy Shapiro of the European Council on Foreign Relations cautioned against trying to make sense of Trump's decision to postpone his trip.

His decision not to come was welcomed by critics outraged by the United States travel ban on Muslim-majority countries, and more recently, Trump's decision to re-tweet anti-Muslim videos posted by a British far-right organisation.

The exchange prompted further calls to dump the visit.

Downing Street was unable to say whether Mr Johnson was speaking for the Government, stressing how it was "not aware of the circumstances of the tweet".

"Let's hope that Donald Trump also resists the pursuit of his divisive agenda". "He's scared at the hundreds of thousands of people that will be here, peacefully protesting against his visit because of his racist and his misogynistic views", said Labour MP Marsha de Cordova.

Some British lawmakers questioned whether Trump would be welcome in London because of previous tweets and criticism of Muslims and his sniping at London Mayor Sadiq Khan in the aftermath of a terror attack in that city past year.

Like this: