Published: Wed, November 15, 2017
Culture | By Antonia Gonzales

Green Beret uncovered Navy SEALs' dirty money scheme before his suspicious death

Green Beret uncovered Navy SEALs' dirty money scheme before his suspicious death

A witness in the investigation of the death of US Army Staff Sgt. Logan Melgar shed light on a possible motive, according to military documents obtained by NBC News.

The Beast adds that an altercation then commenced and escalated, and after Melgar's dead body was delivered to the nearest clinic, the SEALs reportedly panicked.

Melgar reportedly confronted two of the SEALs for stealing from a fund set up to develop informants on radical Islamic elements in Mali.

Now those two partners are under investigation for killing Melgar -after an autopsy came back that showed the 34-year-old had no drugs or alcohol in his system at the time of his death.

According to The Daily Beast, the elite Navy commandos, which include Petty Officer Anthony E. DeDolph and an unnamed officer, allegedly pocketed cash from a government-backed fund from which officials took money to pay informants. Military experts were hard-pressed to think of another case where elite USA troops turned on one another.

Melgar reportedly discovered their actions and turned down the money when he was offered a cut, according to sources in the Daily Beast.

Melgar's cause of death was asphyxiation, according to a defense official familiar with the findings of the medical examiner's report. He was assigned to Mali with the 3rd Special Forces Group to help train locals and support counterterrorism operations.

Melgar was eventually found dead in what seemed to be a strangulation. Gunmen attacked a luxury resort in Mali the same month Melgar died, and in August there were two separate attacks on United Nations missions there.

Representatives of both US Africa Command (AFRICOM) and US Special Operations Command (SOCOM) declined requests from The Daily Beast for comment due to the active investigation.

The SEAL pair then tried to cover their involvement by telling superiors that Melgar was drunk during combatives - or hand-to-hand fighting exercises - and that is how he got himself knocked out and killed.

The two accused Navy SEALs, who have not been identified, were flown out of Mali shortly after the death and placed on administrative leave.

Investigators ruled Melgar's June death a "homicide by strangulation."

He graduated from Texas Tech in 2006, and enlisted in the Army in 2012 as an off-the-street Special Forces recruit.

Like this: