Latest
Recommended
Published: Wed, November 08, 2017
Tech | By Dwayne Harmon

Ex-Welsh minister dead after conduct claims

Ex-Welsh minister dead after conduct claims

In a statement on Tuesday, police said: 'At approximately 11.30am today North Wales Police were called to a report that the body of a man had been found at an address in Connah's Quay.

Sargeant, 49, a member of the opposition Welsh Labour Party, told local media earlier this week that he wanted an urgent investigation into the allegations "in order to allow me to clear my name".

His suspension from the party came after Welsh First Minister Carwyn Jones was told about a number of allegations made against Sargeant by women, part of a wider uncovering of sexual misconduct claims across United Kingdom politics, the BBC says.

"The man has been formally identified as local AM Carl Sargeant". North Wales Police said they were not treating his death as suspicious. "My heartfelt sympathies are with his family at this hard time".

Sargeant's last public statement was made on Friday, via his Twitter page.

He resigned from his Welsh Cabinet post on Friday after misconduct allegations were made by more than one woman - no details about the allegations were immediately available.

He said that "given the nature of the allegations", he agreed with the First Minister that he was right he "stands aside" from cabinet.

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn said his death was "terrible and deeply shocking news" and Welsh First Minister Carwyn Jones said his passing would be "a great loss" to the party and the country.

He added: "I look forward to returning to Government once my name has been cleared".

Sargeant was married and had two children.

"He was the most kind and caring husband, father, son and friend".

His family released a statement and said they were "in shock and grief". The Welsh Assembly suspended its activity for the afternoon in light of Sargeant's death.

Like this: