Published: Sun, September 03, 2017
Economy | By Melissa Porter

Three dead as Delhi's Ghazipur landfill site caves in

Three dead as Delhi's Ghazipur landfill site caves in

The Delhi Police said that rescue operations are underway.

At around 50 metres, the height of garbage heaped at the Ghazipur landfill site in Delhi is barely 20 metres short of Qutub Minar, the world's largest brick minaret. It fell into the canal, which swept away two bikes, a scooty and a taxi into the adjacent canal. He said five people were rescued and two died. He said that no other country in the world was disposing garbage in the way Delhi was, calling the landfills an "ancient" method of doing so. "Most important thing is there should be no fresh mountain of garbage", he added.

The MCD instead blamed the NHAI for not keeping its promise of using the garbage from the landfill for road filling activities.

Travellers and commuters can see dumpsters winding their way up to the landfill, where about 2,500 metric tonnes of garbage are dumped every day, with scavenging birds hovering over it. Traffic near the landfill was diverted from the adjoining road as an immediate safety measure.

The man and woman who were killed have not yet been identified.

L-G Baijal, on Saturday, held a meeting to take stock of the situation, his office said. A section of the pile in a landfill slumped over a auto and three two-wheelers, pushing the vehicles off the road and into a canal, they said.

Agarwal told The Pioneer that the Bhalswa landfill site is also posing a similar threat and therefore directed the authorities that immediate necessary action is taken in order to avoid such an incident. Lieutenant Governor of Delhi Anil Baijal tweeted about the Fridays' incident at Ghazipur Landfill Site.

During her visit, Bhagat said they obtained land for new landfill site at Ghonda Gujran, but due to environmental issues they are still waiting for the NGT's nod.

The area has turned into a garbage dumping over years. Garbage compactors have been ordered and waste-to-energy plant will be built.

EDMC officials admitted that work on releasing the trapped gases inside the massive mound was pending for the past few months, which could have led to the accident.

Like this: