Latest
Recommended
Published: Sat, September 02, 2017
Economy | By Melissa Porter

N. Korea's missile fired at half range: S. Korean military

N. Korea's missile fired at half range: S. Korean military

The North set off global alarm on Tuesday when it fired an intermediate-range missile over the Asian island nation, triggering condemnation from world leaders including the USA and Japan.

The missile, launched at the Sunan airfield in Pyongyang on Tuesday morning overflew the northern territory of Japan and splashed into nearby waters.

US and South Korean aircraft dropped live munitions onto the Pilseung shooting range in Gangwon province, some 150 kilometers (94 miles) south of the Demilitarized Zone dividing the two Koreas.

Because North Korea's "current ballistic rocket launching drill.is the first step of the military operation.in the Pacific and a meaningful prelude to containing Guam, (which is an) advanced base of invasion, he (Kim) said that it is necessary to positively push forward the work for putting the strategic force on a modern basis by conducting more ballistic rocket launching drills with the Pacific as a target in the future". But the F-35, built to counter superpowers like China and Russian Federation, could handily overpower anything North Korea could throw at it.

First off, allied forces will attempt to eliminate the missile at launch.

North Korea sparked fresh concerns over its nuclear and missile program Tuesday when it launched a Hwasong-12 intermediate range missile over Hokkaido and into the central Pacific, sparking emergency sirens and text alerts sent en masse to people in northern Japan.

Pyongyang has warned of more similar tests to come. And leader Kim Jong-Un called for more launches into the Pacific, KCNA news agency said.

Now is the time for the worldwide community to ramp up pressure on North Korea, Japan's top diplomat said during the 40-minute phone conversation.

But the US Defence Secretary, James Mattis, insisted on Wednesday that there was still room for diplomacy.

Mattis's remarks were widely interpreted by journalists and pundits on Twitter as a contradiction of President Trump's tweet earlier in the day even though the question was not directly about the tweet.

The US must make it clear that it will deploy a decisively destructive nuclear option to strike North Korea - one capable of effectively destroying the country.

Speaking ahead of a meeting at the Pentagon with his South Korean counterpart, Song Young-moo, Mr Mattis said, "We are never out of diplomatic solutions".

"We knew within minutes where it was going", he said.

Most experts now say North Korea will likely continue its torrid pace of weapons tests until it perfects ICBMs and submarine-launched ballistic missile systems, and that it probably won't show serious interest in talks before then.

However, he added, "they could do something like that on relatively short notice".

Like this: