Latest
Recommended
Published: Thu, August 10, 2017
Sport | By Billy Aguilar

Manchester United to trigger Sergi Roberto release clause

Manchester United to trigger Sergi Roberto release clause

Barcelona midfielder Sergi Roberto is not for sale and the club do not fear losing him despite interest from Manchester United and Chelsea, sources have told ESPN FC.

Chelsea, on the other hand, are also reported to be interested in securing the services of the youngster, as he could be the ideal replacement for Nemanja Matic as a holding midfielder.

Image courtesy of Sergi Roberto via Instagram, with thanks.

Barcelona right-back Sergi Roberto is being backed to make a big-money move to Manchester United. His release clause is £36m. The Spaniard made six Liga assists last season.

Having missed out on Tottenham Hotspur's Eric Dier, Roberto is reportedly the next target as his future at the Catalan club is supposedly uncertain under manager Ernesto Valverde.

United are not the only English club who are interested in Roberto as it has been claimed that Premier League champions Chelsea are keeping tabs on him.

That said, with new signing Nelson Semedo likely to occupy the right back slot, alongside potential arrivals Paulinho and Coutinho filling the midfield, he may feel as if a regular place in the starting XI may be harder to come by and contemplate a late move elsewhere.

The rumour mill had Jose Mourinho already opening talks with Roberto, too. Hence, the player could alleviate the need for a new midfielder altogether.

Mundo Deportivo reported that United have made a bid for the Spain global, while sources told ESPN FC last month that he was also a Chelsea target.

Like this: