Latest
Recommended
Published: Sun, August 06, 2017
Global Media | By Abel Hampton

Biman wants more slots in Saudi Arabia to transport Hajj pilgrims

Biman wants more slots in Saudi Arabia to transport Hajj pilgrims

Mentioning the increase in the Moallem fees by the Saudi government as one of the main reasons behind the breakdown of the hajj flight schedules, the minister said, "The issue will hopefully be settled soon as the Saudi Arabia government is scheduled to hold a meeting today in this regard".

Neither of the airlines had to cancel any flight due to shortage of passengers.

Every year, most of the hajj pilgrims leave for Saudi Arabia within the first 10 days into the beginning of the Hajj flights.

Mr Yeboah announced that the Hajj Village had been moved from the Jubilee Park to the Tamale Sports Stadium for security reasons because of the increase in the number of pilgrims and also to ensure a comfortable shelter for the pilgrims.

Meanwhile, religious affairs ministry yesterday warned of legal actions against private hajj tour agencies responsible for visa complications of pilgrims.

According to a Ghana News Agency report, Dr. Bawumia noted that this year's Hajj was certainly impressively planned and thanked the board for implementing systems to ensure the the journey will be successful.

Shakil Meraj, general manager and spokesperson of Biman, confirmed the matter to the Dhaka Tribune on Wednesday, saying: "We need more slots to transport pilgrims in Saudi Arabia as several Biman Hajj flights have been cancelled".

All Nigerian Airports including that of Ilorin International Airport have been provided with screening and other detective equipment and facilities to detect those carrying hard drugs and other contrabands to Saudi Arabia during pilgrimages and other countries of the world.
A total of 273 pilgrims got visa on Wednesday and the rest will receive theirs only upon paying the additional money.

The minister said that due to the militant presence in Kashmir, the J&K Government have to remain extremely cautious while verifying the documents submitted by the pilgrims. The National Commissioner in charge of Policy, Personnel Management and Finance, at the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria (NAHCON) Alhaji Yusuf Adebayo Ibrahim disclosed this in Ilorin, the KWARA state capital while answering questions on a Radio KWARA personality interview programme Playing Host.

About 6,200 Ghanaian Muslims are expected to perform this year's Muslim pilgrimage (Hajj).

Like this: