Latest
Recommended
Published: Fri, April 21, 2017
Global Media | By Abel Hampton

Fox News addresses O'Reilly exit on air

Fox News addresses O'Reilly exit on air

The Times article prompted protests and an advertiser boycott, which led to Fox News' parent company, 21st Century Fox, reviewing the allegations against O'Reilly and severing ties.

Following the report on the harassment allegations, several major companies pulled their advertising from the show, including German carmakers BMW and Mercedes Benz. Ailes has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing.

The popular host was in St. Peter's Square with his son for Pope Francis' weekly address, and afterwards stood in a VIP line to shake hands with the holy leader.

The statement from 21st Century Fox said the decision to part ways came after "an extensive review done in collaboration with outside counsel".

Lastly, and most importantly, we want to underscore our consistent commitment to fostering a work environment built on the values of trust and respect.

Most people were not convinced about O'Reilly's innocence, and Hollywood took to Twitter to celebrate the news and once more shame the host for his alleged past behaviour.

Beginning on April 24, Tucker Carlson will take over the 8 p.m. time slot previously held by O'Reilly. He pushed a populist, conservative-leaning point of view, and was quick to shout down those who disagreed with him. According to ad-tracking firm Kantar Media, it brought in $147.13 million in advertising revenue in 2016. Went to Bill, came back, he said "No, he was never going to apologize".

Walsh does not have a legal claim against O'Reilly due to the statute of limitations on harassment cases in NY and California, but she did report the matter to the human resources hotline of the company earlier this month.

O'Reilly's lawyers said he was the victim of an orchestrated campaign by liberal organizations like Media Matters for America, which contacted his advertisers to pressure them to leave the show.

His attorney said on Tuesday US time the host was the target of a "smear campaign" funded by far-left advocacy groups.

The news comes after multiple allegations emerged that O'Reilly has sexually harassed and verbally abused female employees. O'Reilly's fans aren't likely to be happy about his losing his job, particularly on a controversy set in motion by the Times, a publication hated in conservative circles. "I wish only the best for Fox News Channel", the statement added.

Bill O'Reilly tarnished the intellect of a generation, but at least we got Stephen Colbert out of it.

Fox might also have found it financially risky let O'Reilly remain.

"And you, the audience responded in record numbers, making The Factor the number one cable news show for more than 16 years".

In addition to hosting "The Factor", O'Reilly has also written a series of historical narratives, including "Killing Jesus" and "Killing Lincoln", that have each sold more than 1 million copies in hardcover. "No more silencing women!"

Fox News could have sustained the defections for a while as advertisers moved their spots into other programs. Such tickets can be obtained via special request to the papal household from embassies, high-ranking churchmen or Vatican officials.

Like this: