Published: Mon, November 21, 2016
Economy | By Melissa Porter

Chiefs player joins family after father's shooting death

Chiefs player joins family after father's shooting death

The captain said it appeared the suspect waited in his truck for the victim, a Southwest Airlines employee named Michael Winchester, to either arrive for or leave work. The airport was put on lockdown after a shooting in the main terminal.

The Chiefs released a statement of support for Winchester's family.

Police believe Buie armed himself and went to WRWA with the intention of shooting someone.

The suspect's body was found inside a red pickup truck in a five-story parking garage at the airport with an apparent, self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. He likely used some sort of scope on the rifle and was probably familiar with the weapon.

Buie's victim, 52-year-old Michael Winchester was also an employee at Southwest Airlines. Police are reviewing surveillance video at the airport and searching Buie's home for further clues as to his motive.

The Latest on a fatal shooting at Oklahoma City's Will Rogers World Airport (all times local): 10:05 a.m. Police say the man accused of fatally shooting an Oklahoma City airport employee used to work for Southwest Airlines and that the attack was likely in retaliation for circumstances that led to the attacker's 2015 resignation.

Winchester, whose address is listed as Washington, Oklahoma, about 35 miles south of the airport, was a former University of Oklahoma football player whose son James is a long-snapper for the Kansas City Chiefs. The shooter, a former employee of the airport, killed himself with a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Balderrama says he doesn't know what Buie did for Southwest or why he resigned.

The airline said Winchester was a ramp supervisor and had worked for the airline for 29 years.

She says the airline is focused on supporting Winchester's family and other Southwest employees following the shooting. Buie was found dead in his vehicle, though this case is still under investigation and it hasn't been confirmed whether or not the same weapon was upon to kill both Winchester and Buie himself. Airport spokesperson Karen Carney said several hundred people were in the concourse at the time of the shooting.

The attack led to the cancellation of 25 flights. Four flights were cancelled altogether and 27 were delayed, causing a rough time returning back to normality with so many disrupted plans.

Oklahoma City police investigators are trying to figure out why a man waited to gun down an airline employee outside Will Rogers World Airport in an ambush that prompted authorities to shut down the state's busiest airport for hours.

The 1 p.m. shooting set off a scramble at Will Rogers World Airport, with police immediately closing the sprawling complex and asking passengers inside to seek cover. Police initially said they were looking for a second shooting victim, but then later said they didn't believe there was a second victim.

Like this: