Published: Sat, September 10, 2016
Economy | By Melissa Porter

Air travelers on Samsung phone honor system after fires

Although customers will still be able to bring the phones on flights, the bans extend to the phones being plugged into flight entertainment systems where USB ports are available. They also shouldn't "stow them in any checked baggage".

"We continue to review the FAA's guidance and raise awareness with our employees and passengers about these devices", said United Continental Holdings Inc (UAL.N) spokesman Luke Punzenberger.

The company received dozens of complaints that the device caught on fire while charging. It started with the launch of the long awaited (and highly lauded) Galaxy Note 7.

The exploding batteries and subsequent recall of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 has opened up an industrial-sized Value-Added Tax of worms for those still thinking about buying the phone.

Samsung says it'll replace all phones with a newer version as part of the recall.

As per a CyberMedia Research report, "Samsung rules the Indian LTE market with about 40% market share, beating Lenovo, Micromax and LYF took the second and third positions with 9% and 8% market shares, respectively".

The Federal Aviation Administration is warning airline passengers against using Samsung's recalled Galaxy Note 7 phones after several have caught fire in recent weeks. Australian airlines like Qantas, Jetstar, Virgin Australia, Tiger Airways have themselves prohibited the use of the device on board flights. In its statement, the agency asked owners of the Note 7 "to power them down and stop charging or using the device" in the meantime.

The Galaxy Note 7 has been plagued by fires since it went on sale last month, and Samsung investigated the problem and found the culprit to be the battery.

The Galaxy Note 7 came out in early August.

The notice further detailed that the smartphone should not be stowed away in any checked-in baggage. Consumer safety and peace of mind are our top priority.

A Jeep SUV burns after a Galaxy Note 7 owner purportedly left his device charging inside.

Like this: