Latest
Recommended
Published: Sat, July 09, 2016
Economy | By Melissa Porter

Afghan Taliban condemns attack at Saudi holy site


The Saudi interior ministry identified the Jeddah attacker as Abdullah Waqar Khan, a Pakistani national in his early 30s.

The Saudi interior ministry said security forces became suspicious of the bomber when he was heading for the Prophet's Mosque through a parking lot.

The perpetrators of the blast in Qatif were identified as Abdulrahman Saleh Muhammad Al-Imir (23), who was detained in 2013 for participating in riots calling for the release of detainees being held for their involvement in terror cases.

Saudi Arabia on Tuesday identified the suicide bomber who struck outside the U.S. Consulate in Jiddah as a Pakistani resident of the kingdom who arrived 12 years ago to work as a driver.

The Medina attack, which killed four policemen near Islam's second-holiest site, 24 hours before the end of the fasting month of Ramadan, has drawn condemnation from Islamic figures worldwide.

Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince and Interior Minister sought to reassure Saudis of the kingdom's security after Monday's triple suicide attacks, which have sparked outrage.

Meanwhile in Indonesia, a suicide bomber on a motorcycle attacked a police station in Solo yesterday, killing himself and wounding a police officer.

OIC secretary-general Iyad Ameen Madani said those who carried out, planned or supported the attacks were simply carrying out desperate acts to undermine the security and stability of Saudi Arabia, the mainstay of the security and stability of the region and the Islamic world.

The ministry said the deadly Medina attack occurred during sunset prayers after which Muslims break their Ramadan fast.

No group has so far taken credit of these attacks.

Over the weekend, three coordinated bombings were carried out in Saudi Arabia, hitting Qatif, Jeddah, and Medina.

Lebanon-based Shiite militant group Hezbollah, which the Gulf Cooperation Council defines as a terrorist group, denounced the attack as "a new sign of the terrorists' contempt for all that Muslims consider sacred".

In a telephone call to King Salman Bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan condemned the "atrocious" attacks, a presidential source said under condition of anonymity. There were no claims of responsibility but authorities say the attacks bore the "hallmarks" of ISIS.

The suspected culprit of Monday's Medina attack is the Islamic State.

Like this: